This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Recipe Review: A Perfect Gluten-Free Pie Crust

I have been searching endlessly for the perfect gluten-free pie crust.  I have been settling for one that is tough, but holds together enough to support the filling. 

No more!

The Land O' Lakes website was not quite the last place I would have looked for good gluten-free recipes, but it didn't exactly spring to mind (or to search engine results).  Their pie crust turned out beautifully though.  It handled well, baked up flakey and gorgeous, but had enough structural integrity to support a tall slice of chocolate cream. 

Land O' Lakes Gluten-Free Pie Crust

I used the recipe as written the first time.  I then substituted brown rice flour for half the white rice flour in their recommended flour mix, and left out the extra xanthan gum called for in the recipe.  Both of these changes worked just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment